While in other European countries it is common to drive with snow, in Spain it is not so much. Before the cold wave that arrives in Spain, it is important to take into account a series of guidelines to be able to drive safely from the first snowflakes.
- In anticipation of snowfall, it is important to take into account which roads are going to be affected and avoid driving as far as possible. In case you can not prevent yourself, it is important to take the car well prepared for possible retentions, in addition to knowledge in real-time the evolution of the roads.
- Try to ensure that the vehicle is in good condition to deal with the inclement weather. In this regard, we recommend you carry out an in-depth inspection of the car so that it does not have a breakdown in full snow or does not react properly to the rains. It is necessary to emphasize the state of the battery, one of the elements most affected by the cold, the state of the tires, the liquids, and brakes, among others.
- Increase caution from the first snowflakes, since the ground is especially slippery when mixed with the mud and grease of the road. Use the windshield wipers if necessary and turn on the position and low beam lights to be more visible and see better.
- You have to take a reduced speed and increase caution since many signs can cover by snow. It is also necessary to increase the safety distance since snow increases the braking distance, and long marches advised to avoid skating.
- It is advisable always to carry snow chains in the trunk. And it is that at certain times its use may be mandatory. We remind you that a good option for winter, especially in the coldest areas, is to have winter tires, with which you can circulate without problems at all times and especially when the use of chains is mandatory.
Remember that with snow chains, you cannot exceed 50 km / h, and it is important to place them correctly and on the driving wheels. A bad installation can affect the vehicle, tires, and certain safety systems such as ABS or ESP. If the vehicle is a front-wheel drive, they should place on the front axle wheels if it is rear-wheel drive on the rear wheels. In the case of the 4 × 4, it is enough to place them on the front wheels because motor and directionality ensure.